Tuesday 14 July 2020

Tunisia to Zimbabwe (All Vinyl A to Z of Africa) Ep.11

Join me on a journey across Africa, from Algeria to Zimbabwe, one country, one record at a time.

Episode 11 is here for you to enjoy https://soasradio.org/music/episodes/ep-11-tunisia-to-zimbabwe-all-vinyl-a-to-z-of-africa

Take a trip with me to Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia and Zimbabwe. This week we hear music from a girls’ school choir, a mod pop group who moved to Belgium, and finally a fast-paced guitar outfit who were championed by the late great DJ, John Peel.

TRACKLIST:
1 – Soulef – Djari ya Hamouda (La Voix Oranaise)
2 – Bweranyangi Choir – My Soul Wants Something That’s New (MFB Produktion)
3 – Mariem Hassan – Tefla Madlouma (Music Rough Guides)
4  – The Shake Spears – Lucifer (Ronnex Records)
5 – The Shake Spears – The Saint (Ronnex Records)
6 – The Four Brothers – Wapenga Nayo Bonus (Cooking Vinyl)

This radio programme is part of the A World In London Radio Series, more information at http://djritu.squarespace.com/

Lockdown here in London has had its challenges and I've been blessed with a fairly carefree life. Although I have missed my nights sketching in the clubs and nightspots of the capital I've used my time to research my first ever radio programme. Every evening I'm been trying to track down vinyl, records and shellac from Africa, and nearly every day a new package is brought by the postman. I've now managed to find a record from each African country and brought these together in twelve 20 minute programmes on SOAS radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment