Monday 4 May 2020

All Vinyl A to Z of Africa - Ep. 2 Burundi to the Central African Republic


Lockdown here in London has had its challenges and I've been blessed with a fairly carefree life for the past month or so. Although I have missed my nights sketching in the clubs and nightspots of the capital I've used my time to research my first ever radio programme. Every evening I'm been trying to track down vinyl, records and shellac from Africa, and nearly every day a new package is brought by the postman. I've now managed to find a record from each African country and brought these together in eleven 20 minute programmes on SOAS radio.

Episode 2 is here for you to enjoy - https://soasradio.org/music/episodes/ep-2-burundi-to-central-african-republic-all-vinyl-a-to-z-of-africa

Take a trip with me to Burundi, Cameroon, Canary Islands, Cape Verde and the Central African Republic. We hear tracks from a musician who played in Idi Amin’s legendary Suicide Revolutionary Band, we are lured into the Valley of a Thousand Palms by the voice of the volcanoes and we say farewell to a saxophone legend.

Tracklist
1 – Amabano – Nter’amajane (Afro7 Records)
2 – Manu Dibango – Big Blow (Decca)
3 – Mary Sánchez Y Los Bandama  – En El Palmeral De Haria (Columbia)
4 – Johnny Rodrigues – Hasibaba (EMI)
5 – From Oubangui-Chari – Chant pour le débroussaillement (No label)

and please listen to A World in London on Wednesday evenings at SOAS radio and Resonance FM.

No comments:

Post a Comment