Wednesday 13 May 2020

Chad to Djibouti - All Vinyl A to Z of Africa

Join me on a journey across Africa, from Algeria to Zimbabwe, one country, one record at a time.
In episode 3 take a trip to Chad, The Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire/Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of the Congo and Djibouti. This week we listen to music from the ancient kingdom of Bagirmi, a singer who has been inducted into the Order of the Leopard and a recording made at the International Colonial Exhibition in Paris in 1931.

Episode 3 is here for you to enjoy - https://soasradio.org/music/episodes/ep-3-chad-to-djibouti-all-vinyl-a-to-z-of-africa

1 – Bara – Ramata (Ocora)
2 – Ensemble Gabusi Des Iles – Yimbiyo (Arion)
3 – Ernesto Djédjé – Anowah (Philips)
4 – Vicky Et L’ Orchestre OK-Jazz – Bea (Pathé)
5 – Mahamoud Esma, Roble Hoche and Kihien Ebrahim – Chant du travail (Pathé)

This radio programme is part of the A World In London Radio Series, more information at http://djritu.squarespace.com/

Lockdown here in London has had its challenges and I've been blessed with a fairly carefree life for the past month or so. Although I have missed my nights sketching in the clubs and nightspots of the capital I've used my time to research my first ever radio programme. Every evening I'm been trying to track down vinyl, records and shellac from Africa, and nearly every day a new package is brought by the postman. I've now managed to find a record from each African country and brought these together in eleven 20 minute programmes on SOAS radio.



No comments:

Post a Comment