Tuesday 2 June 2020

Lesotho to Madeira - All Vinyl A to Z of Africa

Join me on a journey across Africa, from Algeria to Zimbabwe, one country, one record at a time.

Episode 6 is here for you to enjoy https://soasradio.org/music/episodes/ep-6-lesotho-to-madeira-all-vinyl-a-to-z-of-africa

Take a trip with me to Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar and Madeira. This week we hear compositions that have survived since Stone Age times; a musician who performed at the Nobel Peace Prize concert; and a singer who boycotted the Eurovision Song Contest in 1970.
Tracklist
1 - Basutoland - L'épervier, Nong, Sonnerie Pour Le Bétail (BAM)
2 - Miatta Fahnbulleh - Amo Sakee Sa (Rokel)
3 - Ahmed Fakroun - Nisyan (Groovin Recordings)
4 - Freddy Ranarison - Diavolana Fenomanana (Discomad)
5 - Conjunto de João Paulo - Hully Gully Do Montanhês (Columbia)
This radio programme is part of the A World In London Radio Series, more information at http://djritu.squarespace.com/
Lockdown here in London has had its challenges and I've been blessed with a fairly carefree life. Although I have missed my nights sketching in the clubs and nightspots of the capital I've used my time to research my first ever radio programme. Every evening I'm been trying to track down vinyl, records and shellac from Africa, and nearly every day a new package is brought by the postman. I've now managed to find a record from each African country and brought these together in eleven 20 minute programmes on SOAS radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment