Monday 29 June 2020

Mozambique to Republic of the Congo (All Vinyl A to Z of Africa) Ep.8

    
Join me on a journey across Africa, from Algeria to Zimbabwe, one country, one record at a time.

Episode 8 is here for you to enjoy https://soasradio.org/music/episodes/107224


Take a trip with me to Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria and Republic of the Congo. This week we are spread across the generations, from the colonial life of the 1930s, liberation and independence in the 1960s, Apartheid in the 1980s and finally recent releases from rising stars.

Tracklist:
1 – António Calvário – Terra De Flores (Alvorada)
2 – Ben Molatzi – Danisa Sam (Cree Records)
3 – Ben Molatzi – Tae E Ta Go Di? (Cree Records)
4 – Bombino – Deran Deran Alkheir (Partisan Records)
5 – The Rhythm Blues – Poto-Poto (Philips-West African-Records)
6 – Tela Mamba – Chant d’enfants (Pathe)
7 – Nio Niobi – Okala : chant de funérailles (Pathe)

This radio programme is part of the A World In London Radio Series, more information at http://djritu.squarespace.com/

Lockdown here in London has had its challenges and I've been blessed with a fairly carefree life. Although I have missed my nights sketching in the clubs and nightspots of the capital I've used my time to research my first ever radio programme. Every evening I'm been trying to track down vinyl, records and shellac from Africa, and nearly every day a new package is brought by the postman. I've now managed to find a record from each African country and brought these together in twelve 20 minute programmes on SOAS radio.


No comments:

Post a Comment