Tuesday 30 June 2020

Reunion to Somalia (All Vinyl A to Z of Africa) Ep.9


Join me on a journey across Africa, from Algeria to Zimbabwe, one country, one record at a time.

Episode 9 is here for you to enjoy https://soasradio.org/music/episodes/ep-9-reunion-to-somalia-all-vinyl-a-to-z-of-africa

Take a trip with me to Reunion, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Somalia. This week we meet the group who brought the Tutsi, Hutu, and Abatwa tribes of Rwanda together after the 1994 genocide… the musician from Sierra Leone who now calls London his home…. and the story of a Somalian ‘Sugar Daddy’ grooving to Mogadishu vibes.

Tracklist:
1 – Régis & Le Groupe Caméléon – Séga Troisième Age (Disques Royal)
2 – The Good Ones – Amagorwa Y’ Abagabo (Dead Oceans)
3 – Orchestra Baobab – Fayinkounko (World Circuit)
4 – Abdul Tee-Jay’s Rokoto – Ro-Manké (Rogue Records)
5 – F. Qassim & Shareero – Waakaa Helaa (Analog Africa)

This radio programme is part of the A World In London Radio Series, more information at http://djritu.squarespace.com/

Lockdown here in London has had its challenges and I've been blessed with a fairly carefree life. Although I have missed my nights sketching in the clubs and nightspots of the capital I've used my time to research my first ever radio programme. Every evening I'm been trying to track down vinyl, records and shellac from Africa, and nearly every day a new package is brought by the postman. I've now managed to find a record from each African country and brought these together in twelve 20 minute programmes on SOAS radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment