Thursday 23 July 2020

All Vinyl A to Z of Africa: Islands and autonomous cities (Ep.12)


Join me on a journey across Africa, from Algeria to Zimbabwe, one country, one record at a time.

Episode 12 is here for you to enjoy https://soasradio.org/music/episodes/ep-12-all-vinyl-a-to-z-of-africa-islands-and-autonomous-cities

Take a trip with me to Ceuta, Mayotte, Melilla, Saint Helena, São Tomé and Príncipe, and the Seychelles. This week we track down some of the hard to find vinyl from the smaller territories in Africa. We hear the flamenco influences from the two Spanish autonomous cities on the North Africa coast. Finally, we cast ourselves into the Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Guinea, Indian Ocean and the Mozambique Channel to finish the A to Z of Africa series.

Tracklist
1 – Lole Y Manuel – Bulerias De La Luna (Movieplay)
2 – Les Rapaces – Journée Dans Mon Pays (Piros)
3 – Emilio el Moro – Yo Recorro En Bicicleta (Montilla)
4 – Peter Bellamy – St. Helena (Argo)
5 – Gilberto Gil Umbelina – Vôa, Papagaio, Vôa! (Self release)
6 – Despilly Williams – Cançon Déchiré (Decca)

This radio programme is part of the A World In London Radio Series, more information at http://djritu.squarespace.com/

Lockdown here in London has had its challenges and I've been blessed with a fairly carefree life. Although I have missed my nights sketching in the clubs and nightspots of the capital I've used my time to research my first ever radio programme. Every evening I'm been trying to track down vinyl, records and shellac from Africa, and nearly every day a new package is brought by the postman. I've now managed to find a record from each African country and brought these together in twelve 20 minute programmes on SOAS radio.


No comments:

Post a Comment