Welcome to Vinyl Joblottin'
Listen to episode 6 here - https://www.mixcloud.com/AlbanLow/haka-boogie-vinyl-joblottin-ep7/
In a week when a joblot of ten shellac records was all smashed in the post, I was so pleased that these discs from New Zealand safely made it through. Many of them come from the 1950s when Māori bands were at the forefront of New Zealand popular music. The first record this week inspired the famous TV series ‘When Haka Became Boogie’. This series was first broadcast on TVNZ in 1990 and rediscovered the forgotten history of Māori popular music and its star names.
This episode features records from a joblot of 7 records that cost £13.41. Alban Low is your joblotter for this 20 minute episode.
1. Haka Boogie - Leigh Westbrook with Barry Slot and his Rhythm
2. Yellow Bird - Inia Te Wiata
3. Hootchy Kootchy Henry - Daphne Walker With Bill Wolfgramme And His Islanders
4. Kia Ora E Arohanui - Wiki Baker
5. Pania Of The Reef - Motuiti Youth Club
6. Putti Putti (Tamouré) - The Maori Hi-Five
7. Lovely Hula Girl - Bill Wolfgramm With His Islanders
This radio programme is part of the A World In London Radio Series, more information at http://djritu.squarespace.com/