Monday 29 June 2020

Malawi to Morocco (All Vinyl A to Z of Africa) Ep.7


Join me on a journey across Africa, from Algeria to Zimbabwe, one country, one record at a time.

Episode 7 is here for you to enjoy https://soasradio.org/music/episodes/ep-7-malawi-to-morocco-all-vinyl-a-to-z-of-africa


Take a trip with me to Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius and Morocco. This week we meet the ethnomusicologist who made over 35,000 recordings of African music, the Malian who was the first djelimuso (female griot) to tour Europe as a solo artist, and the Moroccan whose been awarded medals from two Popes.

Tracklist
1 – Acinkanja – A Name  (Beating Heart)
2 – Kulira kwa ng’omba – The Song Of The Ground Hornbill  (Beating Heart)
3 – Fanta Damba Accompagnée A La Cora Par Batourou Sékou Kouyaté –  Sekou Semega (Tembo Records)
4 – Hammed Touiff – Chant de Caravaniers (No Label)
5 – Alain Permal et Jeanine Lébout – Qui Coté Qui Coté (Disques Capricorne)
6 – Abdelwahab Doukkali – El Ouef Sahib (Atlassiphone)

This radio programme is part of the A World In London Radio Series, more information at http://djritu.squarespace.com/

Lockdown here in London has had its challenges and I've been blessed with a fairly carefree life. Although I have missed my nights sketching in the clubs and nightspots of the capital I've used my time to research my first ever radio programme. Every evening I'm been trying to track down vinyl, records and shellac from Africa, and nearly every day a new package is brought by the postman. I've now managed to find a record from each African country and brought these together in twelve 20 minute programmes on SOAS radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment